SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Caustic, Cheap, Cruel Words

In my previous blog, I spoke of how powerful that words can be and that, at times, we just need to be quiet. In 1 Thess. 4:11, Paul exhorts us to "study to be quiet, and to do your own business..."  It is interesting , to me, that he uses the word "study." I study for things, the test, that I haven't "aced" yet and truly, people need to learn and work at controlling that little member, as James 3 describes the tongue. He says this in verse 2-"If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able to bridle the whole body." I believe that a mark of a spiritually maturing believer, man or woman, is they are able to control their tongue. John MacArthur said this concerning James 3. "Human speech is a graphic representation of human depravity."

Now, we know we are not to join a monastery somewhere and take a vow of silence because words can be just as beneficial as they are detrimental. I hope in my next few blogs, I can help us with avoiding the bad speech and replacing it with good, edifying words. Scripture has much to say on the subject- one being one of my favorite from Proverbs 25:11- "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Such a beautiful word picture is that! But before we are carried too far away with that, listen to the sobering words from Jesus, Himself, concerning our speech, from Matt 12:36-37  "But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."  I am sure I cannot fully unpack what this means nor is it my intention to do so in this blog, but suffice it to say, our Master said that our words are very very  important. Again, from John MacArthur, "Every person is judged by his words, because they reveal the state of his heart."

Two blogs ago, I asked the question "What makes us cry?" Well, let me share with you some cruel, caustic, and cheap words that I heard recently that first made me sad and then made me mad! My husband, Danny, was reading from a website that he visits , a site that people who love car racing (Dan, being one of those), volley their thoughts back and forth. He related to me that the name, Sarah Palin, came up and most were supportive but one man or woman, makes no difference, said this and I quote "Sarah Palin can take her retard and go back to Alaska, for all I care." Caustic, careless, coarse, cheap words!!

Now, I know that most of my readers are Christians and we know that name-calling is wrong. Little children do it and have to be taught and trained not to do so. Don't you remember, as a child, how hurtful it was to be on the receiving end of it? I vividly remember "four eyes" accusation when I was in the 4th grade. It's funny how culture changes. I believe it was Amy who wanted drugstore glasses because "now it is cool to wear them." :)

"Four eyes" was minor though compared to making disparaging remarks about those precious, precious persons who were not born with whole,healthy minds like Gov. Palins little Trig. And, by the way, why all the venom leveled at her, anyway? I am not "in the tank", as they say, for her, politically speaking. Depending on who was running against her, should she decide to run for president, I doubt I would vote for her. I am still old-fashioned enough to question whether a woman should be in the Oval Office. (Uh oh, I just lost the feminists.... Not really, they would have never read this far).  But on another note, I will gain a few people back by saying that if she was running against our current Commander in Chief, I would have to cast my vote for her.

Back to my question- what so angers this world about her? Right now, in my Bible reading, I am in the Book of Isaiah and I thought of her and others like her when I read this verse recently. 5:20-"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter." The reversal of morality in this country is undeniable. Are the feminists mad at her for not aborting a Down Syndrome baby? Why have the pro-choice (as they call themselves) people not spoken out in defense of her choice? Or maybe, they are pro choice , simply, if your choice is their choice. ???

I admire her because she made the ONLY choice. It confuses me that the argument for abortion is "it's my body."  No, it isn't. Your arm, your leg, your eyes are your body. The baby isn't your body- it's inside your body and needs your body to grow and be protected but it isn't your body! Well, I didn't mean for this to turn to an abortion theme but my pen is writing at about 100 mph. And, please, understand, if one reads who grieves because you chose this at some misguided, confused time in your life, there is forgiveness in Christ Jesus!

I saw a video clip of Gov. Palin exiting a plane, holding little Trig, who is probably around two years now and he was smiling from ear to ear as his Mommy held onto him tightly. Call those little "fellas" names? Are you kidding me? Have you ever been around a Down Syndrome child? As a rule, you won't meet a happier or more loving human being? My sister works with a lady who just celebrated the arrival of her first grandchild, who happens to be a Down Syndrome baby. A little girl who has already endured more surgeries before she is a year old, than most of us who have lived most of our lives. Little Piper is loved beyond measure and prayed for by many, one, being this writer,and I have never met her. Darlene can relate because our Kelly is 31 years old now and has never walked nor talked. No caustic, coarse, cruel, cheap words have ever exited those lips. Her first words will probably be praises to the Lamb when we gather around the throne.  God have mercy on people who speak disparagingly about these precious ones in God's sight. I know a little about God and don't you know that He holds a special place in His heart for these dear ones?

Our words, when used to belittle or make fun or name call , come essentially from that sin that is named first in Prov. 6:17 , the list of sins that the wise man said God hates and that first is pride. Pride looks down our noses at others. How can we do that, Christian? When we look in the mirror of God's Word and see who we are, outside of Christ, how can we look at anyone with superior thoughts about ourselves? We are sinners (who deserve hell) but are saved by His mercy and amazing grace.

Just this thought and I close. God could look at all of us and call us names.  "Not me", the arrogant people in Washington, DC say, " I am a graduate of Harvard- tops in my class. I have millions in the bank and am so powerful that I can pass whatever bill I choose."  No, sir or madam, beside the Omniscient God, you are a dummy! ( Sorry, that was name-calling :)) Romans 11:33" O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God. how unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!"  Yes, He could sit us down , like Job, and ask us questions like where were we when He spoke this world into existence, and like Job, we just would have to put our hand over our mouth because He is wise and mighty, we are not! Nebuchadnezzar learned that lesson in Daniel 4. In verse 30, as he walks in his palatial kingdom, he says this "Is not this great Babylon , that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honor of my majesty.?  When the lesson was learned, he said this in vs. 37 "Now I , Neb, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, all Whose works are truth, and His ways judgment, ; and those who walk in pride, He is able to abase."

Yes, God could call names and He does. Listen to a few because of His mercy.  "Children, Little Flock, Friends, Forgiven Ones, Heirs of the kingdom...."    Let's be like Him and extend mercy and refuse to let our speech put down others. He will be pleased and our lives will be the better for it!

Looking up, Deborah

1 comment:

  1. WOW...it is amazing how you put on paper the words our Lord gives you to encourage and exhort others. Keep giving us what He gives you, even if you don't get many comments. Please know that many are reading and being blessed (and challenged) :) Love you, Deb!!

    ReplyDelete