SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Friday, April 2, 2010

"Behold the Lamb of God"

This morning, as I washed my breakfast dishes, I heard on the radio Larnell Harris sing "He Loved Me With A Cross" and wept as I have many times before when I meditate on and contemplate the love on that old rugged cross that day for me and you and people like us. Why would Jesus Christ go there and become obedient to death, even death on a cross, for us? "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 4:10. Only love, divine love, can explain God's redemption plan for a world of disobedient, depraved, and doomed sinners, the dilemma we all found ourselves to be a part of.

I have been reading this week, as I am sure many of you have, the words of our loving Lord as He died on that cross. Warren W. Wiersbe wrote a book called The Cross of Christ in which he includes a chapter concerning the seven things that Jesus uttered from that cross. Phrases like this- "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Charles Wesley writes in one of his numerous songs, these words -"Five bleeding wounds He bears, received on Calvary; They pour effectual prayers, They strongly plead for me, "Forgive him, o forgive" they cry "Nor let that ransomed sinner die." Dear child, let that saying from the cross penetrate our hearts and ask "What or who can I not forgive?" 

To the thief who hanged on the cross beside Jesus, He said, "Today shalt thou be with Me in paradise." The dying thief prayed "Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom." Here, we see that salvation is wholly by grace. As one thief railed at Christ with these words "If Thou be Christ, save Thyself and us", the repentant one rightly said "Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man hath done nothing amiss." I see confession and repentance in this statement from one who knew he deserved exactly what he was receiving but God in His mercy and grace saves us from that we rightly deserve, ( an empty life and eternal Hell) and gives us in place of , that which we don't deserve (a fulfilled, purposeful life and Heaven). "The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day, and there may I, tho vile as he, wash all my sins away." William Cowper

When Jesus saw His broken hearted mother and His beloved disciple, John, He said "Woman, behold Thy Son" and "Behold your mother." John , the Scripture says, took Mary home with him that day and I am sure watched out for her the remainder of her days. Note Jesus' love for His own as He writhed in agony and note also, that there is responsibility placed on us once we have knelt at the cross.

"Eli, Eli, lama, sabachtani", or "My God, My God, why has Thou forsaken Me?" Can you hear the heart rendering cry here from One Who had always been with and had sweet communion and fellowship with His Father and now , because of my sin and your sin, He cries because the Father has turned away? For three hours that day, in the middle of the day, there was a supernatural darkness and Jesus Who had been forsaken by all, now is forsaken by the Father, that we, Believer friend, might never be forsaken! "Amazing love, how can it be? That Thou, , my God, shouldst die for me?" Charles Wesley

Our Suffering Savior cried "I thirst." The Creator of the Heavens and the earth, the Maker of water, actually, the Water of Life, Himself, now He thirsts. He identified and sympathizes with our every need because He, Almighty God, became Man and was hungry, grew weary, and here on the cross, after no sleep for awhile, beatings until Isaiah said that he didn't even look like a man, spat upon and mocked, and ultimately nailed to the cross where His blood has all been shed, and now, He cries "I thirst."

Sixthly, "Father, into Thy hands I commend My Spirit." I love that the Scripture says that Pilate marvelled that Jesus was already dead. He knew it should have taken longer but what he did not know is that Jesus had said to His disciples in John 10, "Therefore doth My Father love Me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself; I have power to lay it down and I have power to take it again..."   (Praise the Lord that He did so on Resurrection Sunday!)  We, dear ones, won't choose when we "give up the ghost." He did and just before He did, He said these words that should bless our souls abundantly today and every day- "It is finished."  Last, important words such as the ones I read that the faithful preacher, Charles Spurgeon, said "Jesus died for me."  John Wesley, as he lay dying, said "The best of all is, God is with us!" And from the cross, Jesus cried triumphantly, "Tetelestai", the Greek word for "It is finished." Let me share with you, in closing, some of the ways the word was used as Jesus walked the earth.

When servants would finish their work, they would report back to their masters with the word "tetelestai" .Read John 17:4.   When worshipers brought their sacrifices to the temple, the priest, on finding the animal spotless and presentable, would declare "Tetelestai". John 1:29 and Matt. 3:17.   When artists would complete their work, take a step back, and survey the canvas, they would say "tetelestai". Luke 24:25 .   All that the O.T. saints looked forward to and all that the prophets spoke of , now, has come together and the picture of redemption is complete.  When merchants handed a receipt back to the buyer with the word, "tetelestai", stamped on it, that meant (get ready for a shout!)  "paid in full!"   Jesus paid it all!!!

I was reading the 12-year old Jesus' words to His earthly parents last week and He told them "I must be about My Father's business."  On the cross, He declared "It is finished."  He finished the work that the Father sent Him to do..  It is finished, Christian, and don't we rejoice, on this Good Friday, 2010, that it is?   "Lifted up was He to die, "It is finished" was His cry", Now in Heaven , exalted high, Hallelujah, What a SAVIOR!!", Philip P. Bliss, wrote.    And in the words of Fanny Crosby, I close today, one of my favorites, still remember singing it at church with Momma and  Daddy and still good enough today, as I remember singing to sleep my children and grandchildren with these words "Jesus, keep me near the cross, There a precious fountain; Free to all, a healing stream, Flows from Calvary's mountain. In the cross, In the cross, be my glory ever, Till my raptured soul shall find, rest beyond the river."

Thank You, Heavenly Father, for the cross and thank You, Father, that the next time, He comes, there won't be a Calvary but the welcome from all of us, Your children by faith; We long and love and look for His appearing. Help us to be ready, watching, waiting, and working.

Looking up, Deborah
Rejoice , dear brothers and sisters, this Easter. He died, He arose, He's coming again!!  Love and prayers to all who read.
      


    

No comments:

Post a Comment