SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Thursday, July 1, 2010

Suffering For Christ

1 Peter 2:19-21 says "For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but, if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps."   Recently, I heard someone say that they had inquired of a pastor what his heart was being prepared to speak to God's people...

...his congregation at the present time, and he answered "suffering for the sake of the Gospel."  "Oh,", most Americanized Christians would say, "I think I will find another church, one where a more pleasant topic is being addressed."  But the truth is, I believe, that if Jesus Christ doesn't return soon, Christians in America should prepare and brace themselves because , yes, even in the USA, there is a growing antagonism toward the Gospel. Haven't you noticed that tolerance seems to be the theme for every religion and lifestyle but from sitcoms to the lamestream (yes, I mean lamestream) media, we are mocked and looked upon as being too narrow-minded and rigid in our beliefs. The truth is that our COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF, CHRIST  was also. Yes, yes, yes, He was loving, gracious, kind, and generous in grace and mercy, as we should be too, but He had a message that was not received when He walked here and still is not today and that being that He alone is the way to God.

Then and today, that message is vehemently opposed by satan and his cohorts because that message believed and received changes lives. The new converts move from the kingdom of darkness into His glorious realm of light and life. A challenging question to us all is are we willing to stand, suffer, and maybe even risk our lives for the Truth?  Millions have before us. Have you ever read Foxe's Book of Martyrs? They could not recant even as the torches were lit and Nero played his fiddle.

I'll try to be brief today- my sole purpose being to encourage you saints who are aggressively active in the work, the work that we are called to do. Peter reminds us in this 1st Epistle concerning suffering (firstly) and glory (later).  "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you." vs 12.  Don't be surprised if you are waging battle against the kingdom of darkness that their leader will turn his big guns on you and your efforts. In fact, we should be more concerned if we are doing so little for God that we aren't even a thought in our enemy's mind.  The Bible is filled with examples of God's people coming up against tremendous opponents and the odds not looking too good in their favor. I think of Moses who was doing what God had birthed him to do, yes, he was doing God's bidding and now he faces the Red Sea with the sounds of chariots bearing down upon him and the children of Israel. Pretty menacing scene, huh? Not for GOD!!  He can and does part the waters!!

Daniel found himself in the den of hungry lions simply because he was faithful and prayed. His enemies watched and tried to find an accusation but could not so they connived a plan which looked like it worked but GOD can shut lion's mouths and did. I love the story that King Darius spent a sleepless night in his luxurious palace and although Scripture doesn't say, I believe Daniel prayed and slept. Perhaps he used one of the "purring kittens" to lay his tired head upon.

A fiery furnace had no mastery over Azariah, Mishael, and Hananiah. The king could change their Hebrew names but He could not change their commitment and certainly could not change their GOD. They exited without the smell of smoke on them. They declared before being cast in the oven heated 7 times hotter than usual. " If it be so, our God Whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. BUT if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."  I love their answer that either way they would be delivered. Reminds me of Paul saying "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." Christians cannot lose!

Time doesn't permit me to speak of all the examples we read in our blessed Book- just the other day in Acts, I read of Peter sleeping between two soldiers, bound with chains (there because he did right) and an angel said "Get up, Peter, put your clothes and sandals on- we are out of here." Later, in chapter 16, while Paul and Silas sing at midnight with their feet in the stocks (because they did right), and their wounds still fresh and bleeding, an earthquake rocked that place and the keeper of the prison was about to commit suicide, realizing that death would be the penalty for letting the prisoners escape, and Paul cried out "Do thyself no harm, we are all here."  Before the night was over, Paul baptized him and his household, now new believers because God working in those circumstances brought them to Himself.

Hallelujah!!   Nothing is too hard for the Lord. He is Master over seas, lions' dens, fiery furnaces, prison cells, slingshots and giants, cancer, rebellious teens, faltering economies,  murmuring church members...... Don't quit, don't falter, don't doubt!  March ahead in faith!!  If that is hard right now and I know that to be so at times - at least it happens to me and I am encouraged during those times when I can't see the way clear that my brothers and sisters in Christ are lifting up my name to the Lord. I am doing that for you today, dear beloved of the Lord.

Let me close with some of Paul's last words to Timothy - "At my first answer no man stood with me,(do you feel alone?) but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me (you are not alone), and strengthened me, that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear. (God has a plan and purpose) and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion." (He is mighty to save!!)  And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom: to Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." 2 Tim. 4:16-18

Have you ever heard Allstate's slogan- "You're in good hands."  Well, probably not, according to how much they think they can get by with but Christian beloved of God, we are in good hands. We are in Christ's, He's in His Father's and the good news is that I have read the back of the Book-  WE WIN!!  "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might."    
      
Looking up, Deborah
    

No comments:

Post a Comment