SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Saturday, August 7, 2010

"All Of His Promises Are True!"

We had "promised" our two precious grandchildren that we would have them for a sleepover on Friday night since school begins next week. (Shortest summer on record, I believe.) But between a combination of low energy level with me and Landon arising on Thursday with a 101 degree fever, we had to cancel and will try again very soon for them to come up to visit with Grandanny and me. I don't know who was more disappointed, Alicia and Landon or Jeff and Amy who were looking forward to a nice and quiet dinner and evening.

Yesterday, as I talked with Alicia, I explained that we were sorry for the change of plans but that life is a series of "hope-deferred" disappointments- that our intentions are always to keep our word and should be but there will be times when we can't and won't. One of the sweetest little 10-yr.old girls that you would ever meet, (yes, I know that is spoken like a grandmother :)) assured me she perfectly understood that things happen and she just appreciated all that we do for her and Landon. It seemed that I was giving an explanation that she did not need but some how I was trying to soothe my conscience, I guess.  The cancellation, though, brought to mind ONE WHO has never nor will ever break a promise! Every human being has or will but as one of my favorite songwriters and singers sing, "All His Promises Are True!". He keeps His Word. Romans 4:20-21 "He (Abraham) staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that what He had promised, He was able to perform." Yes, at age 100, and his wife being 90, God promised an heir and Abraham knew that the Omnipotent God was able to deliver and deliver He did with the birth of a little boy named Isaac, meaning laughter. I love the two words that describe Abraham's response to the promise. "fully persuaded."

Faith, children of the living God, is what pleases our Heavenly Father and I wonder some times how I must grieve His heart when I doubt His promises. 2 Cor 1:20 "For all the promises of God in Him (Christ Jesus) are yea, and in Him (Christ Jesus), Amen, unto the glory of God by us."  Let's return to my opening example where on Monday, Alicia and Landon were looking forward to Friday night but between those two days, some unknown, not seen circumstances arose which made us unable to promise "yea" and "amen". Our "yes" and "amen" changed to "probably not" and "maybe later". I praise His Name that there are no vacillations and slip-ups with the Sovereign God that we serve. He never has to recalculate and recalibrate because nothing ever sneaks up and throws off His plans and promises.  Peter in the first chapter of his second book, calls them "exceeding great and precious promises." Yes, they are and let me encourage you with a few of them which have blessed me this morning and pray that you will be too.

1 John 2:25-"And this is the promise that He hath promised us, even eternal life." In Christ's intercessory prayer in John 17, He prays -"And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, Whom Thou hast sent." In Him, Believer, we have the promise of eternal life! The scoffer might argue that all will die and I would agree that if Christ doesn't return before, this corruptible tent that I dwell in will return to the earth but the real me, the unseen person who relates to and converses with you, will never die because in Him, I have eternal life. HALLELUJAH!!   We forget, I think, that the outer which we spend so much time on, is not the true person; the "inner man", as Scripture calls him should be a priority. (Soon to be blog, I believe, as thoughts swirl in my mind concerning this.)  Here is a precious promise for you who feel all alone and who of us hasn't at one time or another? "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have; for He hath said "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." The sad truth is that the closest person to you may, either voluntarily or involuntarily, but precious one, He never will! He was with Daniel in the den of lions, the 3 Hebrew children in the fiery furnace, David as he gathered his slingshot, Paul as he was shackled in prison, Esther as she risked her life for her people......  and He is with you with whatever you face right now.

This blog could be endless- (aren't you glad it isn't?) because His promises are endless. You can read about them and I hope you are, in the pages of this blessed old Book. Promises of His include His love, His joy, His peace, His forgiveness, His faithfulness, His goodness, His mercies, His provisions, His power, His protection, His salvation, His hope, His assurance.......  .  These promises and many many more are to us, His beloved children,today.  Let me leave you with one that I have alluded to in recent blogs, one that blesses the righteous in Christ as we are vexed daily with the rampant evil, the pompous government, even our own groaning to be delivered from this sinful flesh. In Acts 1:11, as the disciples watch their Master ascend into the clouds, an angel says to them- "Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same JESUS which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven." JESUS, Himself, made that promise to those disciples in John 14 and I love Hebrews 10:37 which says "For yet a little while, and He that shall come, will come, and will not tarry."  I believe that promise regardless of the naysayers who think we Christians have lost our minds. In fact, they just confirm Scripture when they argue that they have been hearing that all of their lives.(2 Peter 3).   As Joshua was preparing to die, he left these words with the children of Israel. In chapter 23, verse 14, he encouraged them to persevere with these words- ""And, behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth: and ye know in all your hearts and in all your souls, that not ONE THING  hath failed of all the good things which the LORD your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass unto you, and not one thing hath failed thereof."

Praise the Name of Jesus!!  "All Of His Promises Are True!"

Looking up, Deborah

2 comments:

  1. Glory be to the Faithful One who has never, ever failed us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it refreshing and encouraging to know EVERYONE OF HIS PROMISES ARE TRUE!!! Praise be to God!!! I love you Deb and thank God for you and your passion and heart to share what He give you with so many!!!
    Praying for you!!! Dedene

    ReplyDelete