SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Friday, March 4, 2011

"Dad, Mom, I'm Hungry!"

We who have raised children or are now in the process of doing so have heard this "mantra" as they grew. From the time in the nursery at 2:00 a.m. until the teen-aged boy who we thought must have a bottomless pit, these words burst forth from their mouths. Children are hungry!  Reading in the Gospel of Luke recently, I noted our Lord referring to little children, once in a positive example- Luke 9:46-48- and on another occasion- Luke 7:31-32, a negative aspect of children- I began to have the idea of writing maybe a couple of times about some of my favorite people on the planet- children. I love children and today, I want to start with their appetites and draw a parallel for us, God's children through faith in Christ Jesus.
Peter, in his first book and chapter 2, writes to us that we should be hungry for God and His Word much like that newborn baby is for his or her Mommy's milk. In fact, if that baby doesn't have an appetite, doctors will begin running a battery of tests to determine why. At the time in my life when I find my desire for God's Word is waning, I must put myself through spiritual exams and see what is going on in my heart. We look at children and comment- "Wow, I cannot believe how they are growing!"  Well, all of that good food that you have been setting before them is the reason. And, though, this seems elementary, apparently it isn't because all around us we see anemia in the church of Christ and we had rather argue over the version than to eat and digest the volume.  For spiritual growth, reading, studying, and meditating on God's inspired Word is essential. I had a friend once whose mother was in the hospital and she took her a copy of the Book because she was concerned for her soul. On a particular visit, in came her mother's priest and and as he viewed the Bible on the bedside table, he assured both my friend and her mother that she needn't worry about reading that because that was his job when or if she showed up for "church".  Now, it is our Pastors' calling to study for and explain to and feed the sheep but just as we don't go from one Lord's Day to the next without feeding our faces,we cannot get enough to keep us strong by hearing him on Sundays. No, in the natural realm, we want three "squares" and some snacks in between.In the spiritual, we want a 20 minute sermonette on Sunday and then wonder why we are losing in our battles.
    
Saints, it is essential for growth in our spiritual lives. Jesus said to the devil in Matthew 4, as He was being tested in the wilderness - "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word tht proceedeth out of the mouth of God." It was our Lord's weapon as He put the devil to flight. In Ephesians 6, we are reminded by Paul that it is our offensive weapon against the schemes of the enemy of our souls. Example- are you weary today? I know some of you are. Know and believe and meditate on these words today from your Savior- "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  Are you fearful about the failing economy? "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things."   Couldn't we go on and on about how His Word comforts our hearts?  Let me close by tying in verse 3 of 1 Peter 2 with a quote by John MacArthur- "At salvation, all believers experience how gracious the Lord is to those who trust Him. That should compel believers to seek more of that grace in pursuing His Word."  Remember when you were first introduced to that steakhouse that your friend kept talking about?  He or she finally took you there and they were so right and now every time that the restaurant is mentioned, your mouth waters, right?  I don't have to remind believers how precious and satisfying those times are that we spend with our Lord in His Word. Nothing takes the place of it, does it?
     
I remember walking into Mark and Amy's rooms when they were tiny babies and not only were their mouths getting ready- their hands and feet were excited too as they anticipated the meal. They were healthy and they were hungry and could hardly wait. Let me share another picture that just came to mind  as I wrote that. I recall a man named Herschal who always sat up on the bench as the preacher preached and I mean UP on the edge of the bench. He really was like a little bird with his mouth opened  when God saved him and changed his life as he soaked in all that Bro. Glyndon Bennett  gave him to grow from God's Holy Book. Oh, for that appetite in my heart and Christian hearts everywhere.  Grant it, Lord.
    
Deborah
p.s  Verse 1 of 2 Peter 2 lets us know that some things we are eating on harms our appetite for good food- think about it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment