SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Monday, November 8, 2010

Pray For One Another

On the heels of my last blog, concerning fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who are facing trying circumstances at this present time, I thought it would be an opportune time to remind us that we are to pray for one another.  In the Epistle from James, one who is said to have been called "Old Camel Knees" because of the humps on his knees from praying often, he reminds us in 5:16 to "pray for one another." Some Bible teachers remind us that the theme from this book is practical Christian living and with the "one anothers" that I have been studying, that is my thrust lately- to remind us that there are some things we cannot do nor understand but there are others that we can and should for others, especially in these seemingly increasing dark days.

Often times we hear and maybe have even said something like this- "Well, I can't do anything else so I will pray", sounding like we think  prayer is the last resort when we have tried all other avenues. No, no, Christian friend, prayer is essential and the best thing we can do. I receive a regular e-mail from a dear Christian couple, Carol being one of the best Bible teachers I have ever had the privilege of learning from and her husband, a beloved former pastor. They, now, minister to missionaries and young pastors and their wives, helping those who are now where they have been and their e-mail always reminds us that "first we pray."  Yes, I am always encouraged when a fellow brother or sister tell me that they are praying for me. Recently, someone that I love and respect very much not only reminded me that he prays for me but asked how he could specifically pray about me and my needs. We don't realize how encouraged and blessed people are to know someone cares enough to lift their names up to the Father when they go to their prayer time. Dear ones, who take the time to read my posts, I pray for you before I hit the "send button" because my heart's desire is to help you, never to harm you as I write my simple thoughts. Know you have been prayed for today.

I love this message from James 5:13-14 where three questions are posed. "Is any suffering? Pray!". "Is any cheerful" Praise!"  " Is any sick? The response - prayer!" From a book by David Jeremiah comes this quote- "Both in periods of suffering and trouble, and in times of joy, prayer and praise alike acknowledge that He is sufficient. To pray to Him is to acknowledge His sovereign power in appointing our circumstances. Whether as the source of supply in need, or the source of gladness of our joy, God is our sufficiency."( Alec Motyer, The Message of James)  Yes, He is our sufficiency,both when life is going well and we are singing loudly and when it seems the bottom has fallen out and we are on our knees calling out in desperation. And all believers will experience both along their journey from earth to our real Home. As a parent delights to meet their dependent child's need, our Heavenly Father awaits to hear our praise, our call, our cry this day. "Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you." 1 Peter 5:7

Praying for you today, Deborah
In the next day or so, I long to share with you who I pray for on a regular basis and why. I, probably, will begin with pastors.  Looking forward to it, dear ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment