SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Monday, January 17, 2011

Blessed Are The Poor In Spirit

At the dinner table on Christmas Day, sports being the topic, Amy remarked that she could hardly stand to watch professional football players as they pump their chests, flex their biceps, and "strut their stuff" as they make plays. Really, after all, shouldn't men who are making millions of dollars to play a game catch passes and sack quarterbacks? I remember the day when athletes played because they loved the game and they left the cheering to the fans in the stadium. In fact, those are still my favorite players. Watch them, though they be rare- they excel at what they do and walk back to the huddle.

Recently, one of my favorite coaches had a microphone on her lapel during the game and when one of her players was relishing her accomplishment a little much, she called her to the sidelines and stressed emphatically these words: "This is not about you and one more escapade like that, you will be benched, do you understand?"  Yes, I appreciate the team concept, don't you?   "Okay, Deborah, how does the sports headlines for today have anything to do with Matthew 5:3?"  I am glad you asked! :)    I believe the poor in spirit realize that "it's not about me."Matthew's Gospel, written primarily with the focus being to introduce Israel's King, He now goes up on a mountainside and in 107 verses, Jesus speaks to them words that turn the world's philosophies upside down. They went against the grain as they still do today.

John MacArthur, in his book on the Beatitudes, entitles this chapter "Happy are the Nobodies." I doubt that a book entitled that today would make the best seller list but we, subjects of this kingdom to which Jesus refers, listen to His wise words, not the antithetical shouts from the world. Jesus challenges their thinking that day and to us today, He still reminds us that there is a way to live which either focuses on the eternal perspective or the temporary outlook. One kingdom is passing away and the other is forever. One's mantra is "assert yourself", the other, as Christ speaks here, is "humble yourself."  It would serve us well today to examine our lives and see if these attitudes are the rule in our lives. No, we aren't perfected yet, I know, and every day, the flesh will rise up to rule, the world's system- the TV ads, the billboards, the magazines and yes, the athletic prowess will try to pump up our egos but I believe the lack of these kingdom principles in our lives should give us grave concern to whether we are a citizen of His kingdom or not.  Now, I know in these Beattitudes, the world thinks these sound like a bunch of losers but our Lord says the opposite. These people are the real winners and their lives are blessed. Someone defined the Greek word, makarios, as the inner joy that is a fulfillment of every longing in the human heart." Happiness, Saint, and I don't have to tell you, you already know, is walking with the King.

Being poor in spirit means I am over myself. We hear that phrase much these days, don't we? We wish that Hollywood stars, Washington "elitist" politicians, and yes, gifted athletes  would get over themselves. The poor in spirit do not get carried away with the applause, (as rare as that is) not do we quit when the applause turns to accusations, (and it will.)  We realize that our egos, our agendas, and our dreams are not the issue. Our eyes are not on ourselves any longer but have turned to gaze on the One, the Only One, Who is worthy to receive our adoration.  Here is what we realize as we do just that thing- the more I gaze on Him and the longer I walk with Him, the more that I realize my own sinfulness. When I am poor in spirit, I am more concerned with my failures and sins than I am about judging everyone else of theirs. Oh, how we look down on people at times and fail to remember that "but for the grace of God, so go I."

The poor in spirit goes to the throne room often because we realize we are bankrupt paupers and our King has all the resources that we need for this journey. The self sufficient and proud believe that they can somehow get through on their intellect, their strength, and maybe their wealth. The poor in spirit know that none of those satisfy the deepest need in our hearts. We hear of wealthy and "seemingly" successful people who commit suicide and attempt to drown their sorrows in drink and drugs.  The poor in spirit praise the King because we have come to the knowledge of the truth that without His sovereign grace in our lives, we would be on the same path of the unjust. We are receiving grace upon grace upon grace and know that He is responsible for all the good in our lives.  Now, we expect the world to do what an unregenerate world does, but let's keep a check as Christians, as followers of the King, to make sure we aren't looking down our noses at anybody. How can we when we have stood at the foot of the cross, destitute and hopeless, and see the sinless, spotless, and perfect Lamb of God dying for us think that we are superior to anybody? I ask you, who can we look down on?  Here's a thought provoking quote from my Preacher Boy this week: "Pride is the sin that we are blind to in ourselves, but appalled at in others. Turning up your nose while bowing your head is impossible."

A pastor who had just been called to a little church was out canvassing the area and asked his deacon who was driving him why they didn't stop at that trailer park that they had passed a couple of times. "Oh, Pastor, those are not the kind of people in which we want to build our church."  This seems unreal, doesn't it? This man of God told me those words and I said that I was glad that Jesus didn't have that attitude when He looked down from that cross. I know He wouldn't have chosen me. I had nothing to offer. I don't know the man who made that prideful statement but there is reason to doubt that He knew Christ with an attitude towards "those kinds of people."  How are we doing, dear one? Do we have a self serving agenda that when challenged, we lash out instead of repenting?  See, Brother and Sister, we are on the same team. It is not about us- it's all about Him and He said "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
   Forgive us, Lord, when we have had a superior mentality toward anyone. Thank You, that You stooped real low for me and help us that the mind of Christ be in us, Your Church. Forgive us that we have ever walked off the field thinking that you got a real catch when you "drafted" us.  "Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."  

Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly timed reminder for me. Thank you for listening to Him and speaking to us.

    ReplyDelete