SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

SNOWMEN AND SHEEP

My son, Mark, was at the house one day last week and asked, "Mom, don't you think it's time to take down the Christmas stockings?"   "Just give me time, Son."   Actually, I enjoy the decorations as much in January as I do in December, maybe more so because the "hustle bustle" is over and I can sit with my Cafe Verona coffee and enjoy the moment. At any rate, the house is back to normal other than the boxed treasures needing to go into the attic. (ATTN: Danny and Mark.)
There are, however, a few snowmen who remain here and there. After all, snowmen are not just for the month of December. We get most of our snow after the Christmas holidays. So, little round, white men and women with carrots for noses are right at home in my and Dan's home so we leave them , some of them, year round. My pastor's wife, Amanda, said one , in particular, was just way too cute to be stored in the attic for 11 months of the year. He thanks you, Amanda. It's much warmer in the den- on second thought- maybe warmer isn't such a good idea for snowmen!


Most of you who know me know that I love snow and that is an understatement. There's nothing quite like looking out where a few hours ago, there was brown, dead grass from the winter's chill, and seeing fresh, glistening, whiter than  white snow. I think, , all would agree, even you snow-grinches, that the beauty of that sight is astounding.  The Book of Job has a couple of the 25 verses that Strong's Concordance says that snow is mentioned. In Job 37:5-6, "God thundereth marvellously with His voice; great things doeth He, which we cannot comprehend. For He saith to the snow, be thou on the earth..."  In chapter 38-41, where God is asserting His omnipotence, He asks Job in 38:22  "Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow?..."  Seeing 2 or 3 inches of the new-fallen snow and the 2 and 3 and more feet, I am told, as you travel northward, to me is like standing on the ocean shore, feeling the magnificence of something that screams "The Creator of this breath-taking sight is much, much, much, muuuuuuuchhhhh...more magnificent than this that you see!!!!"  And that is THE  understatement. His power is expressed in the cold winter's snow- He says"be on the earth" and it is. The treasury or storehouses for this snow are His. He told that ocean it could only go so far. Ps. 104:9.   I really like the song by LeAnne Wommack, called I Hope You Dance, with one line saying "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean." How can we not when we consider the works of our Awesome Creator?  Ps. 19:1-2 I know there is and always has been the attempt to explain and figure out how this planet and the universe "evolved" to be what it is today. Well, Bible believer, there is a simple explanation. Ps. 33:8-9 " Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. For He spake,and it was done. He commanded and it stood fast."

If any read this today and struggle with that truth, that He could simply speak and something was created from nothing, then I might suggest that your God is too small. That's the problem with many of our scientists and professors-they are too big in their own eyes to believe such a "ridiculous" thought when really, we are too small to grasp all that the Almighty God can do.  My preacher boy, Jeff, said once that it was like Elmer Fudd trying to figure out Albert Einstein, only a million times more.   In the words of Kimosabe (well, maybe not and that probably isn't spelled right, I'm too small to figure how to go from blogging to spellcheck :) )   "Me- little, GOD-MIGHTY!"     Job was in that mindset in chapter 40:4-5 "Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer Thee? I will lay my hand upon my mouth. Once I have spoken; but I will not answer; yea, twice, but I will proceed no further."  Yes, there's my thought about snow and all of His treasury of wonders. He renders me speechless!  Paul put it like this in Rom. 11:33-" O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out."


So, snow, dear brother and sister in Christ, remind me of His inexhaustible power- do you know scientists say there are no two flakes exactly alike?  That, along, with how the elements have to come together perfectly for the snow to form, not to be rain or sleet or freezing rain, amaze this girl. Not only His inexhaustible power, but snow also reminds me of His imputed purity. When I look out my window and see that "whiter than white" substance on the ground, I think of Isaiah's words "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD; though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow..."  Yes, the old song, taken from David's prayer in Ps. 51, says "whiter than snow, whiter than snow, wash me and I shall be whiter than snow."  It still amazes me that God could take Jesus' red blood and apply it to my black heart, and make it whiter than snow. "For He hath made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor. 5:21 . Rev. 1:5 "And from Jesus Christ, Who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead , and the Prince of the kings of the earth. Unto Him, that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood." Rejoice, today, believer, that He has made you clean by His precious blood that He shed for you and me at Calvary. You are clean and are justified in God's sight and the good news for you, who may read this simple blog today from a simple servant girl, and you aren't assured of that, you can be. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  What a SAVIOR!!

Well, those are my thoughts about snow. I know the title included sheep, of which I also have at least one in every room of my house. Yes, it kinda looks like a winter fold.  Maybe we will talk about my sheep next time.   

Looking up,
Deborah
p.s. I hope that this weekend, God tells the snow to be on the earth- in Dawsonville!

4 comments:

  1. Good, good stuff. Thanks, MaMa, for feeding us. - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. How big is your God? The more you know GOD the bigger HE becomes!!! Thanks for this blog Deb! It's another step to helping me know Him more and more!!! (I hope God tells the snow to coverthe earth...in Alpharetta too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your blogs... I feel like I'm at the table with a Godly mom enjoying fellowship!!!! I so need that in my life!! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah, the summer before Don and I moved we repainted the trim to our Ocean City house. The harsh winters take their toll on wood and paint and we wanted it fresh when we moved in. On que, that first winter we had 6 inches of snow which delighted us southerners. There was snow on the beach, snow on the dunes, snow on the boardwalk, everythng was blanketed in white. No color, just white as far as you could see. After our walk, and approaching our house I noticed the beautiful Seashore white trim I was so proud of was dingy against the snow. This paint was the whitest of whites, how could it be so dirty? I was reminded that as hard as we try, we are still dingy and stained because of sin in our life and we can be made whiter than snow through the blood of Jesus. Yes, I too learned that life's lesson the winter of '07. Thanks for reminding me. love you Connie

    ReplyDelete