SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Monday, December 27, 2010

A White Christmas

Just a few random thoughts today to let you know that I am still among earth's inhabitants. The past week has been very busy for me and I am sure, for you readers also. GranDanny and I are enjoying the quiet, no where to go, the Christmas tree, Starbuck's Christmas blend coffee, and the beautiful snow on the ground, now beginning to disappear as it runs from the sunshine.  For all of my 58+ years, I have heard and enjoyed the classic song by Irving Berlin, sung best by Bing Crosby, called I'm Dreaming of A White Christmas. Basically, that is all we ever did- dream of one- because here in the south, we are usually in the 50-60- temperature range and that isn't conducive to snow.
My preacher boy, Jeff, looked on the computer and told us that the last time there was any measurable snow in the Atlanta area was back in the 1880's. None of us were here then. :) BUT, this year our dream came true!  I listened all week to my weather radio and anticipated that at any minute, being the pessimist that I am, that they, the weather experts, would remove Frosty from the forecast but was thrilled around 11:00 a.m. on Christmas morning when from a crowded family room came this announcement: "Hey, everyone, look outside, it's snowing!!!" And, I mean, it was snowing. When I can see it without my glasses, it is snowing.
     
We are blessed every year at Christmas to be surrounded by precious family and friends. Jeff, Amy, and those two special "grands" arrive on Christmas Eve and there is nothing quite like hearing those little (well, they aren't so little anymore) feet coming down the hall on Christmas morning, probably awakened by the smell of bacon, sausage, and GranDanny's famous deer tenderloin that he cooks once a year.  Alicia is growing up on us and she is a little more patient but Landon, still with "sleepy" in his beautiful eyes has a first question at 7:00. You, who are parents and grandparents will recognize it. "When are we going to open presents?"  "When Uncle Mark and Aunt Charity get here."  "Awwww"  They soon arrive along with Mark's friend, Justin, who spends every Christmas Day with us. Soon after, Jeanette, Darlene, Rupert, Kelly, and Wayne join the festivities and then last of all, another of Danny and Mark's friends named Dan arrives, his family living in Chicago so he joins us too.

That was trivia in which you probably were not interested but it is important to me. Such fun we had as we ate plentiful food, THANK YOU, LORD!, sat in a warm house, THANK YOU, LORD!, and exchanged gifts around a Christmas tree, THANK YOU, LORD! And watched it snow! THANK YOU, LORD!  The grandbabies got lots of things- Amy remarks that their truck resembles the Beverly Hillbillies' vehicle when they leave on Christmas afternoon. We gave them both a pair of boots and that preceded maybe the funniest line from our 5-year old. "Look, Mommy, I look just like GranDanny- I 'm just shorter and do not have a beard."  :) :) :)
    
Such a beautiful day as we celebrated the greatest GIFT ever given- JESUS- GOD come to earth to save us from our sins. THANK YOU, LORD!!!!!    After a brief snowball fight in the backyard, yours truly being popped in the forehead (I felt like I knew a little how Goliath felt- only I didn't fall down nor was I defying the armies of the living God) by a 80 mph snowball intended for my brother, Wayne, everyone had to leave early because the roads were getting slippery.  Danny and I eagerly awaited the phone calls from all our loved ones assuring us of their safe arrivals back to their abodes and then from my precious granddaughter' new IPOD, came this message which she gives me every year as they leave but because of their hurry, she sent it later: " MaMa, this was the best Christmas ever!"  Yes, it was, Baby Girl, yes it was!  THANK YOU, LORD!!!
 
Looking for Jesus, Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment