SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"And Lord, Please Forgive THEM!"

I want to use a funny illustration to open up a most serious thought on my mind and heart today. And yes, it again comes from the two "grands."  You who have been around children know that there are many hilarious examples that come from around age 2 to 6. The funniest thing about them is that they don't know they are and aren't trying to be. And with their "out of the mouth of babes' " statements come life lessons and so is the case today.  On Sunday evening, with Jeff at a pastor's conference...

...Amy had to be the teacher as she confronted the misbehavior of two siblings on the way home from church. Landon was aggravating his sister, (I have noticed that trend in brothers and sisters, haven't you?)  and Alicia had grabbed Landon's little army man with the parachute and with that action, the army man now had no parachute. (Hope he didn't have far to fall! :)  )  Consider the two different prayers as she prepared them for bed while lecturing to both of them their offenses in the matter at hand.  Alicia:  "Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for the day and for Mr. Richard and Ms. Maria taking us to the Olive Garden after church. Help me not to miss Daddy so much while he is away and forgive me for breaking Landon's army man."  Amy related to me that by this time, tears are flowing and my precious granddaughter ends with these words: "Help me Lord Jesus, to do better! Amen."    Landon, my precious grandson's prayer: "Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for this good day and thank You for Mr. Richard and Ms. Maria taking us to the Olive Garden (yes, they both like that place) and Lord, please forgive Alicia for tearing up my army man! Amen."  Somehow, I said to my daughter, I don't think Lando quite got it.  

I have been reading through the Sermon on the Mount lately to soak in what our Savior, our Teacher taught that day on the mountain because there are life principles in these verses. He wasn't wasting time that day (He never did, of course) and He wasn't giving a little sermonette (He never did, of course) but He was teaching timeless principles that will still revolutionize our thinking and our lives today. Of course, I speak to Believers- the unregenerate trying to live kingdom principles doesn't get them in- "You must be born again!"  But when we know Him as forgiven sinners relating to our forgiving Savior, His Holy Spirit living in us enables us to obey Christ's commands and the one I am interested in today is found in Matt 7:1-5.

Our local churches and quite naturally then would bleed over to the whole Body of Christ would be benefited greatly if we, as individuals were as passionate about our wrongs, our sins, our failures, and our offenses as we are about our brothers' and sisters' wrongs, their sins, their failures,and their offenses against us. Jesus didn't beat around the bush, (no, He never did)  when He commanded us to check upon that plank in our eyes before we so meticulously examine that speck in our neighbors' eyes. It's pretty clear, isn't it? Do you know of watchdogs in local assemblies who have taken it on themselves to constantly be looking out for the offenders? Better question- am I that person? The best attitude as we enter the worship time would be- Lord, speak to me and change me.  Now, let me quickly add because I hear the argument and it's a valid one in this "live and let live" spiritual climate we experience today. I know that Scripture teaches that pastors must rebuke as well as exhort. Church discipline and accountability among members is Biblical and must be exercised in the case of unrepentant church members. In Galatians 6, we are told that there will be times of confrontation head-on but let me also say this- if we "chomp at the bit" to be involved in this process, then we are automatically disqualified because we firstly need to get the plank of pride out of our lives and then maybe we can help someone else who is struggling.

If God is showing me anything as I grow older, it's the awareness of my own sinful heart- not the focus being on another's sinful heart. Now, in my spiritual teen-age years when I thought I knew everything, I would have been the first to raise the question- " But I thought the longer you walk with Jesus, the better you get?"  And, yes, our goal is to become more like Him and should be our aim every day but no, my flesh is not getting better. He's glorious, He's magnified, He's awesome but anything good in my life is because He is at work and I am being pliable clay in the hands of My magnificent Potter!  As I mature in Christ, I see that as I grow closer to Him and see His holiness, so I also see my utter hopelessness and my sole dependence on Him and His grace every morning that He awakens me.Yes, He even does that, naturally and spiritually and hopefully He will use these scattered words and thoughts today to awaken some of us to the question of "are we more concerned with being the offender (I tore up the army man and hurt someone) or are we more focused on being the offended? (their sin is greater than mine.)

I might add that the different responses from a five-yr. old and a ten-yr. old who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit do not surprise me. They both are learning as they grow. I think one sign of maturity in God's children is that we don't carry our feelings on our shoulders just waiting for someone to rub us the wrong way. They will!  The truth is - the offenses will come and if it's all about "us", we will reel for days or months or years and we will be the police to go take into custody all those who aren't doing it our way.  But if it is all about HIM, we will refuse the hypercritical and judgmental attitude toward others and say like Paul- "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Praise God for the immediate answer: "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord...."    Praise His Wonderful Name!

Prayerfully checking in on my own heart,
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment