SOMETHING TO SHARE...


Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Kindness of the King!

For several days now, I have been meditating on the beautiful Scripture from 2 Samuel, chapter 9. The Bible tells us that "the LORD gave victory to David wherever he went" and at a peaceful time in his reign, he remembers his love covenant with his best friend, Jonathan. Jonathan, along with his father Saul, David's enemy, even after David's graciousness to him, have died in battle and David, no doubt, is reflecting about the wonderful friendship and communion that he and his friend had enjoyed in days gone by and the promise he had made to him.
 
Now, it was the norm to seek out any left of the former dynasty and to destroy them but here is what the "man after God's own heart" asks- "Is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul, that I may shew him kindness for Jonathan's sake?" In verse 3, he reiterates the thought along with "that I may show the kindness of God unto him?"  Note with me David's initiative- He is the seeker- if Saul has any descendants, they are hidden away, unable and unwilling to look for the king. I know the parallel is clear to you believers who read but I am always thrilled again when I see the picture of grace in this O.T. passage. Romans 3 explains to us that there is none good and none are seeking after God but praise the Lord for Luke 19:10- "For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."  Rejoice with me over the richness of this verse from Eph. 2:7- "That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." And from Titus 3:4-7 "But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost: Which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."

Listen to the words of a servant who knows about Jonathan's son- "There is a son of Jonathan and he is crippled in his feet." Did Ziba quickly add the handicap problem as if to say- "he probably won't fit too good into the royal palace- you see, King, he is crippled by a fall when he was five years old. He doesn't have much to offer, Your Majesty."?    I don't know but David responds as if he didn't hear that because it didn't matter. In fact, who better to show kindness and grace to, may I ask?  "Where is he?", the king asks and is informed that he lives in Lodebar, a word that I understand to mean- "no pastureland." So, we have a cripple living in a barren and dry land and the king is diligently pursuing him? Yes, yes, amazing grace, how sweet the sound!   Now, someone goes to fetch the young man and now in the palace in Jerusalem, probably trembling and fearful, he falls prostrate before the king. David calls him by name and tells him to not be afraid. We see the initiative of the king and the humility of the servant. "What is thy servant that thou shouldest look upon such a dead dog as I am?"

Maybe Mephibosheth knew as the prodigal son in Luke 10 did upon returning to his daddy, that all they could even hope to ask was to be servants but grace makes them sons. David tells this child of Jonathan that he is delighted to restore all of his grandfather's land to him. Dear one, are you like me and have a difficult time thinking that God delights in doing good for His children?  Well, maybe not all of His children but me- that is a different story. Yes, I know, I envision Him tolerating me but delighting- not so much.  I took down my Strong's Concordance and began to read the Scriptures with that word, delight, in them. David said later in 2 Sam. 22 in his song of deliverance-" He brought me forth also into a large place: He delivered me, because He delighted in me."  In Proverbs 12:22, we are told that God delights in those who act faithfully.  One might ask- "Why, Deborah, because we are good and deserving?" (the world's and some churches' philosophy, sadly to say).  No, we are lame and undeserving but grace is grace because it is offered to the undeserving, it is unearned, and it is unrepayable.  I love this verse from Micah 7:18- "Who is a God like unto Thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He retaineth not His anger for ever, because He delighteth in mercy."

King David returned all the land to Mephibosheth and told him that along with handsome Absalom, strong Amnon, beautiful Tamar, and all his children, that he would eat always at the king's table. Charles Swindoll says this so beautifully- "The table cloth of grace covers his feet."  Thank You, Lord Jesus!  Let me fast forward to chapter 19 with which we aren't as familiar. After David's sin with Bathsheba and the revolt of his own son to overtake the kingdom, David returns home brokenhearted and asks Mephibosheth why he didn't accompany him. He explains that Ziba deceived him and when David informs him that he will divide the land between Ziba and him, he utters these words: "Oh, let him take it all since my lord the king has come safely home."

I listen to and love the lyrics of a song by Shannon Wexelberg called Cling. "May Yours be the only smile I need to see.....   I set out on this road, so many voices call to my soul, They try to fill my cup but I have found, sweet Lord, that You're my Enough!"  Just being in the presence of king David was enough to this graced one.His kindness had won over Mephibosheth's heart and affections.  I know this has been long but one more note of interest. Verse 13 ends with that he would always eat at the king's table but then adds again that he was lame in his feet. Why close with that reminder again, I have pondered?   Just this week, I have spoken with believers who struggle with their lameness. In fact, I speak with one quite often. Her name is Deborah and I know her so well. A wise pastor counseled me recently that just our awareness and struggle that we aren't all we will be is a work of grace in our hearts. Mephibosheth knew as he climbed the palace's stairs at night that he still was crippled but grace takes care of that. In fact, grace is more precious to us as we continue to realize our inadequacies. Now, as Paul said, I am not saying that we deliberately keep sinning so grace may abound. He said "may that never be!"  But, Saint, until we reach Heaven, the flesh will war against the Spirit and at the end of many days, we will weep because we failed again but remember, you sit at the King's table with your crooked legs under the table cloth of grace!  All glory and praise to Him Who made it possible!

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment